Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The quick guide to leisure.

Despite all my talk about debauchery and the like, I am and always have been obsessed with productivity. If I go through a day without writing at least four pages of the novel, I'll end up depressed and anxious. Lately I've been very productive thanks to my new favorite coffee shop, so I feel comfortable indulging myself now and again.

Since I've already given you an idiot's guide to keeping yourself productive, I think it's time the Dionysians gave their rebuttal to the Appolonians. (Nietzsche reference, +20 pretension points!)


1. Set aside some time every now and then when you will be free of any responsibilities or obligations. I do this by writing like a mad bastard in the morning and lounging about all afternoon if my work schedule allows it.

2. Occasionally indulge in some less-than-legal substances. Drinking doesn't fall into this category since it is a social substance, and can be vital to one's mental health. Also note the word occasional here. Doing a bit of the hard stuff now and then can be wonderful, but the leisure comes to a screeching halt when you're shivering under a bridge sucking off hobos for your next hit.

3. Save up a bit of cash and buy something extravagant and unnecessary. This can be a gourmet meal at a good restaurant, a bottle of wine usually reserved for connoisseurs, or a good cigar. What's important is to enjoy these things once in a while. Many people spend their whole lives whining and wondering how such luxuries are, but a bit of saving can bring the experience to your broke ass.

4. Buy some good clothes. This may be my inner gay man speaking, but there's just something empowering about owning at least one set of well-tailored clothes. There's no need to go overboard here and buy 300 dollar jeans, though. Head to a thrift shop, find something good and/or strange, and get it tailored to your fit.

5. Travel. Vacations, I feel, aren't just a luxury, they're a necessity. Everyone has an urge to travel, no matter how deep down, and this urge like all others needs to be satisfied. A change of scenery is what you're looking for here, and a town where no one knows your name. There's nothing quite like leaving your familiar stomping grounds to wreak havoc on the unsuspecting locals of some tropical paradise.

This post may or may not have been influenced by my imminent trip to New Mexico to visit Cam.

No comments:

Post a Comment